Tumble Dryer Update
In August this year a blaze ripped through an 18 storey high rise in London. It took 120 firefighters to put it out. The cause was believed to be an Indesit tumble dryer which was subject to a safety notice issued by Whirlpool.
Alison de Bourcier, Director of Trading Standards in Jersey is in contact with Whirlpool UK and receiving local updates. She estimates as many as 5,000 units were supplied in Jersey between April 2004 and September 2015, however many of these will have come to the end of their natural life.
Whirlpool appointed two local service agents who are carrying out modifications. At the end of July, 1,249 Jersey consumers had registered with Whirlpool customer services for the free of charge modification. The safety notice only affects a number of models of Hotpoint, Indesit, Creda, Swan and Proline tumble dryers. Retailers in Jersey were quick to respond to the Whirlpool safety notice in checking that any new stock being supplied had been modified. Whilst the agents are working through the list of registered customers, Alison de Bourcier would once again advise consumers to check if there model requires modification by visiting https://safety.hotpoint.eu or alternatively call a dedicated helpline (0800 151 0905). She is also encouraging Islanders to register for notification of other product recalls and safety notices published on MyGov (www.mygov.je).
“It is increasingly difficult for consumers and businesses to keep up to speed with product recalls and safety notices. Safety is our primary concern.
It is really important that you are informed of any potential safety issues and know what to do if you think you have an affected product.”
Whilst there are mounting pressures in the UK for Whirlpool to do more, Trading Standards are reminding consumers who may be awaiting a modification to;
- make sure you follow the manufacturer’s instructions on using and maintaining your electrical appliances, including checking and cleaning the filter after every cycle and ensure proper dryer venting
- don’t put appliances such as washing machines, tumble dryers and dishwasher on when you are going to bed or going out
- turn off electrical appliances when they are not in use
- fit smoke and or heat detectors to your home. You should have at least one smoke detector on each level of your home and they should be tested weekly
- never tackle a fire yourself; get out, stay out and call 999 If you need help in identifying if your tumble dryer has been affected please contact Trading Standards on 448160 or email firstname.lastname@example.org