Jersey Consumer Council

Consumer News

Q&As with the Consumer Council

November 16, 2015 Consumer Skills No Comments

Q & A’s with the Consumer Council

Q: I am retired can I get a sick note from the doctor if I need evidence I was ill?

The traditional sick note is purely a social security document and if someone an elderly non-working person needs evidence that they were poorly and miss an event they can purchase a private sick letter from their doctor. Always remember to ask how much you will be charged for a sick letter and you will have to pay a consultation fee too.

Q: What is Direct Debit?

A Direct Debit is an instruction from you to your bank or building society. It authorises the organisation you want to pay to collect varying amounts from your account – but only if you’ve been given advanced notice of the amounts and dates of collection.
Once you have agreed those, the money is deducted automatically. If the organisation you are paying wants to change an amount or date of collection, they have to tell you about it first.
IMPORTANTLY YOU MUST check that the direct debit is being collected to pay for the goods or services you have used. Direct debits are the responsibility of the consumer not the collector!


Q: Why does bottled gas cost less in Guernsey?

Fewer Jersey people use bottled gas than in Guernsey meaning that the overhead costs for the bottling plant are spread over a greater number of customers than in Jersey.

.Q: Is it wise to buy vouchers as Christmas presents?

Please think carefully about buying vouchers as presents as they will have an end date and the company could possibly go out of business, such as HMV.

Q To get the best speeds from fixed line broadband is it true that the device needs to be plugged in directly to the router?


Q: What is the news about tenant’s deposits?

From 2 November, by law all landlords and agents taking a deposit from their tenant must protect it with my|deposits Jersey within 30 working days of receiving it.

Tags: ,


Comments are closed.